Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Children's Hour


Audrey Hepburn and Shirley MacLaine
Every time I watch this movie, I get wrapped up in the injustice of it all. I guess as a lesbian, this movie is my worst nightmare. What would happen if someone found out I like girls? Would I lose my job, or worse, never be able to work with children again? In many states it is still legal to discriminate against employees based on their sexual orientation. Luckily, I live in a state where that sort of discrimination is illegal, but I'm still weary of coming out of the closet in the work environment, and even to my fellow graduate students. Some may say that this film is out of date, or hard to watch, but it remains one of my favorites simply because it feels like a manifestation of my own fears. I can see myself in this film; something I think that makes it powerful and relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...