Sunday, May 8, 2011

Coming Out of the Closet


Megan - Yrrbby
 Coming out to my parents was one of the hardest, if not the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I was nervous, and I cried. My parent's thought this was a sign of my hating my life and wanting to change. They tried to help me by finding me a Christian therapist to work through our issues under the guise of  family and carrier counseling. I don't think it helped much, the therapist had no idea how to handle my situation. After therapy, I still had issues with them until I stopped blaming them for their handling of the situation, stat them down, and told them I was happy with me, and with the woman I was with. Over time, it's gotten better (so much better) between me and my parents. I understand their side of the situation, and they understand, at least in part, mine. I know that they just want the best for me, and at the time they didn't understand that gay people can be happy and lead productive lives just as straight people can.

It's interesting the reactions people have when you come out. All of my friends were decent and supportive of me and my girlfriend, and I think this speaks to the character of my friends. 

Then you get these kinds of people: 



The fact that some people still believe that gays and lesbians are somehow driven to either rape bigots and their grandchildren or that just being around a gay or lesbian person will magically turn you gay is ridiculous. I do not understand this line of thinking, let alone the thinking that in this day in age it's acceptable to publicly discuss interracial marriage as if it were a sign of psychosis.  This person was/is dating my girlfriend's father, and this was her public post on myspace shortly after my girlfriend began to come out about being in a relationship with me. Luckily for us, the rest of her family was incredibly supportive and accepting. 

When you come out of the closet whether it be as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or queer, you will be met with adversity, hate, and misunderstanding. It's important to know that it does get better. There will always be people around you who will love and support you for who you are, and if you truly have no one on your side, you soon will just by virtue of being yourself.

1 comment:

  1. You and Maeve are perfect for each other!! Clair, you are a wonderful wonderful person and I am glad that even with such blatant hate you are able to see what is good.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...